Sunday, 30 March 2014

and i'm just wondering if you're my special thing; the thought that paces through me, that makes my everything

I've been a little reluctant to post this as in the past few weeks ALL I seem to talk about is Dan Croll. In the end I decided it'd be a waste not to write about this day and outfit - it's a lot more interesting than everything else I could write about doing this week! So yes, if you're sick to death of my musings on Dan then feel free to stop reading (but do come back - I promise after this I'll shut up about him!). If not, then yes: last Thursday I was lucky enough to go and see him live again, just this time at The Haunt (one of my favourite Brighton venues) all amped up.

knitted jumper - h&m
tshirt - topshop
crop top (worn under tshirt) - urban outfitters 
shorts - to be worn again (vintage/thrifted)
tights - urban outfitters
choker - handmade
boots - doc martens




shirt - to be worn again (thrifted/vintage)
t-shirt - idek Caitlin when you read this please comment below saying!
mom jeans - topshop
boots - deja shoe

After school, we got changed at Cait's house and one bowl of plain yoghurt, grapes and granola (THE nicest snack ever) and a spot of online window shopping (we spend too much time on the topshop website) later, we got the train into Brighton. We did some shopping, and went to our favourite record shop Resident to pick up a London Grammar vinyl for her dad's birthday - she and her dad both love them! We then went to meet Caitlin's mum for a pizza before the gig, and then we were on our way.  





When we arrived, the venue was already pretty busy and we managed to get about half way to the front. I managed to find myself in a spot right in front of about three really tall guys... needless to say this was a tad annoying! The first two acts were pretty good, but they didn't blow my mind - their names have escaped me but one sang these beautiful ballads and had an incredible soulful voice but did it all with a kinda dubstep background which was unusual, and then the next band were like an electro version of Bastille. We had a quick chat with them afterwards and they were really lovely, too! 
  Between the second support and Dan, a girl turned around in front of me and it turned out to be an old childhood friend from my primary school in Brighton, who I hadn't seen for a good five or six years. We had a lovely little chat, and it turns out that we're going to the same college which should be nice! 
  When Dan came on, he was greeted with such. loud. cheers. Considering the album had only been out for two weeks, the response was incredible, and in his words, it was 'beyond any expectations'. 90% of the songs had people singing along, and the atmosphere was just generally incredible! I literally could not see his face at all throughout most of the gig but seeing as we'd already seen/met him in such a small place, I wasn't overly annoyed - usually I would be but the music and atmosphere was so great even without seeing him that it was still one of my all time favourite gigs! The two highlights for me were not the songs I'd expected - 'In/Out' was so fun live and great to dance/bob about to, and the closing song, 'Sweet Disarray' (also the album's name) was startlingly beautiful and had both myself and Cait on the edge of tears. I did manage to catch a few glimpses of him whilst people in the audience were singing along, and he looked unbelievably happy; my favourite thing about seeing live music is the happiness on the bands faces when they realise that people know the words and actually really care: I feel like if I appreciate their music, I owe it to the band/musician to let them know, as I imagine it's what keeps them going at times. On our way out, we said a few words to Dan and he recognised us when we said we were at Resident, which topped off the evening very nicely!  
   She's going to hate me for saying this (hi ily cait) but when she got home, Caitlin cried (aw) about the whole thing and so I think it's pretty clear now that our little obsession with Dan is going to be a non-mover! What was the cherry on the top for us was when we got home, we found out he'd been confirmed for a festival we're working at in the summer which is perfect.
  As I think you're probably all getting a little sick of my Dan Croll ramblings, I'm now going on a Dan blog hiatus - he's managed to crop up in pretty much every post of mine the month, so I think it's probably time we had a little variety in my posts! So yes, I'm very sorry for my musical rut that has been broadcasted on here recently.
  
 How have you all been and what have you been listening to recently? xxx


*ALSO if you haven't already, you should so check out Bundle, the brainchild of Tolly. It's a social networking site for bloggers and is a great way to talk to other likeminded people - do have a look and add me! http://bundlemag.com/bloggers-2/matildasimpson/ * xx


Title from 'Wanna Know'

20 comments:

  1. Okay, so I just listened to Dan Croll...I think my life has changed forever. Wow, just wow. Also, I really love your tights!
    xoxo
    http://lilliputianlilac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh yay haha! thank you anna! xx

      Delete
  2. Love the photo editing and your tights. Such a cool outfit yet so simple! <3

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. TIGHTS!!! SHORTS!!! SHIRT!!! this is a great outfit, I want to steal it from you, but alas, an ocean seperates us.

    (dan is a beaut)

    love it all!

    http://sonjatitanic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahah thank you! this was the best comment and omg yes he is xxo

      Delete
  4. I think I'll be forever grateful to you for introducing me to Dan because I don't think music has genuinely made me happy in such a long time, so I mean you have all rights to go on about him, he is quite perfect! I love your outfit and that UO crop top is so perfect, I also really love your tights! x

    http://vogueescapade.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh haha I'm so glad! thank you so much! I've been on a bit of a glitter binge recently.xo

      Delete
  5. Adore the tiger top! And the little cropped top xx

    rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just can't beat a pair of Docs! :)

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this post! I should do more posts like this, sharing the story behind the pictures kinda thing. It seems like you both had an amazing day and I'm loving the layering of the crop top :)

    tie-dye-eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I'm a massive fan of your blog so it means a lot. I'd love to read some and thank you! xxo

      Delete
  8. Loving the check shirt look, very nice!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell caitlin haha! thank you on her behalf;) x

      Delete
  9. Sounds so amazing! Aah I have so many live music events coming up over the next few months, reading this made me so excited. Love both your layering, you both look so cool. That crop top you're wearing looks so nice! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm jealous! this is me done till the summer haha. I'm glad and thank you so much! xxo

      Delete
  10. I too spend way too much time on the topshop website, haha! And I am jealous of that London Grammer record :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so addictive! ah god same, cait's dad is lucky haha! xx

      Delete

thank y'all for any comments, i'm full of love for you and reply to everything so be sure to check back. xxo