Sunday, 6 April 2014

she wanna lose the frown, turn it upside down and start living

On Saturday evening, Isy and I went with my family to Brighton to go and see Divergent in the cinema. I LOVED the book so although I was extremely excited about seeing it, I was also a little worried that it wouldn't reach my expectations, but luckily it was amazing! I do think I prefer the book just for the extra details, but the film couldn't have been better as an adaptation. I'm a massive fan of Shailene Woodley and she was perfect as Tris, as was Theo James at playing Four! I definitely recommend it for anyone who likes a bit of action/is a big fan of the Hunger Games. 
*skort close up that i forgot to take earlier!*

 skort: boohoo
jumper: h&m
choker: handmade
bracelet: ebay
boots -doctor martens
shirt - to be worn again (thrifted)
crop top: urban outfitters
In case you hadn't realised from all of my previous outfit posts, I tend to shy away from anything that isn't black, grey or white. I feel very comfortable and myself wearing dark colours, but this year I'm going to try and mix it up a little, colour-wise. When I saw this skort on boohoo, I fell in love - I've been lusting after a skort for a good while, and this pink is so unlike anything I'd usually wear that I thought it was time to give it a go!. I was slightly apprehensive when I bought it, but it goes so well with my otherwise black/white wardrobe and it's surprisingly flattering! For only £10-15 as well, it feels brilliant quality. It turns out that wearing colour every now and then isn't so awful after all! 
 jeans: topshop
jumper: h&m
shoes: converse 
Isy's outfit for once in our lives was more monochrome than mine - I've decided I'm going to have to nick this jumper (I think it'd go well with the skort) and I'm so in love with the converse! I'd love some yellow ones for the summer.
 Today we went prom dress shopping - we drove to Bluewater shopping centre which is an hours drive from me and I tried on SO. MANY. DRESSES. I've had my heart set on a metallic one for a good while, but unfortunately the Lashes of London dress that I ordered wasn't very flattering on me, and I couldn't find any similar. In the end I looked in Lipsy, which houses a whole load of prom dresses, none of which are even vaguely my style. We did manage to find one though, and despite hating it on the hanger, I fell in love - it's short (just above my knee) and is made of a cream, tulle material, and doesn't really stick out, it just flows. The top half is strapless and it has lots of silver embroidery and then LOADS of silver, holographic gems all over it. It's super prommy and glitzy, but I adore it - it suits my body shape a lot more than the metallic one I ordered and I feel like if I'm ever going to break free from my clothing comfort zone and be super girly for once in my life, prom is the time to do it! I already had shoes and a clutch that goes with it at home, so all I have left to buy is some jewellery and some sort of throw as it's in the evening. The dress doesn't show up too well on phone cameras, but in June I'll get some good quality photos to post - until then, I think I'll keep the photos and finished outfit as a surprise!
Isy also managed to find a dress - she ended up buying the first one she tried on, but at first we dismissed it to keep our options open and it wasn't until we were about to leave that she decided to get it! It's floor length and in a dusty pink colour with silver beads and sequins sewn on- it's beautiful! The beads are in the style of a 1920s flapper dress - it's very 'the Great Gatsby' and unlike anything I've seen elsewhere on my hours of dress shop website trawling! Again, photos will be up in June.

In the past few months I've developed a long online list of beautiful dresses, so would anyone be interested if I did a prom inspiration post with some of my favourite finds for anyone with prom or something similar coming up?

Hope you have all had a good start of the easter holidays if you're still at school/college etc!

xxoox


**title from 'Honey' by Swim Deep which is a very good from a very good band that you should definitely check out. they're pretty 90s sounding and their music is really chilled. this video is amazing! i'm seeing them at a festival in july and i CAN'T WAIT***




18 comments:

  1. I used to love Swim Deep, haven't listened to them for a while though...
    Your outfit is great! Love the skirt, such a nice pop of colour, and a great shape.
    I think I'll see that film in the cinema, there's a Tame Impala (albeit with Kendrick Lamar) song on the soundtrack which would be my main motivation because I haven't read the books yet!
    Wonderful post, it's so nice to hear about your life (prom! Aah so exciting) and see your cool outfits! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're so good! same and neither:) thank you! you should do and yes haha! it's a good reason! the books are incredible. thank you so much! i always love your comment so thank you! xx

      Delete
  2. Both of your dresses sound beautiful, especially the Great gatsby one, the pink colour and beads sound sublime. When I see your post title I felt so happy, Swim Deep are such a great band and Honey is such a feel good song!
    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i'll tell isy hehe and they're the bomb haa xxo

      Delete
  3. You look amazing! Good luck finding your prom dress, I love bluewater! Such a good shopping centre x

    Beauty Soup | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah obsessed with your skort, it looks amazing on you! Can't wait to see the prom dress, so happy you finally found one haha <3 xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! ahh i'm so relieved haha thank you! x

      Delete
  5. OMG. I love Converse! And that Monochrome jersy is EVERYTHING. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're classic haha! thank you xxo

      Delete
  6. you look gorgeous in all these photos :) that skort is a stunning colour, and i love how you can dress it up and down! thank you so so much for passing my blog, i really appreciate it! x
    | Life as a Petite |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! It's a much loved purchase haha! you're welcome, and likewise! xx

      Delete
  7. I adore the skort holy moly I want it it's so great. I love dressing colourful, but I see so much appeal in monochrome outfits as well, and I always like yours. It's nice to try new things though. PROM I wish I was going, but I've still got a year to go. A huge number of my friends are in the year above me and so they're all graduating this year and I am so sad. Can't wait to see it!!!

    http://sonjatitanic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you haha, you should get it! I love your outfits too and I wish I could pull of the colours you do! Awh thank you! Ahh man, that sucks- your time will come (woah that sounded patronising sorry. wasn't meant to haha!) and you'll be glad you still have yours to look forward to after theirs! Thank you again and ah Sonja this was the loveliest comment, thaaaanks! xx:))

      Delete
    2. I should get it.. Let me try to convince my parents (I shop too much, they thing I have a problem) But thank you so much! I used to be the kid who wore black jeans and a black tshirt everyday and just recently I started wearing colours and it's a fun way to stand out. (That's okay I totally understand. I only wish my time would COME FASTER!!!!!) It was my pleasure!!!!!! :D

      Delete
    3. Do! Awh haha god if I didn't spend all my money on tickets for things (debt, urgh) I'd NEVER stop. And hey, if it's blog material, it's justified, right?! (that's what I tell myself, anyway...) You're welcome haha and yes! I wish I was braver with colour. Awh haha I know exactly how you feel! I was so envious watching everyone going to college last year, so I'm so excited it's my turn haha! Awh thank you<3 xx

      Delete

thank y'all for any comments, i'm full of love for you and reply to everything so be sure to check back. xxo