Sunday, 1 June 2014

an introduction to: roseanna leach photography

 Today I thought I'd introduce you to the beautiful photography of one of my favourite people, the lovely Roseanna Leach. We met after being put into the same tutor group at school in year seven and five years later, I'm lucky enough to call her a best friend of mine. Over the past few years she's become an avid photographer, documenting everything from our school's sports day, to sleepovers, to country walks and even an album cover! Despite it meaning that some particularly aesthetically unpleasant moments of my teenage years have been documented in extremely good quality photos (not ideal for someone with skin/a face like mine...!), it's been lovely watching her hone her craft and I'm sure I'll be treasuring her pictures for years to come. Seeing Roseanna pursue her passion with such a beautiful outcome makes me feel like a very proud mumma, and I can't help but share her talent!

 Recently she set up a Tumblr blog, Roseanna Leach Photography, posting her photos and occasional stories behind them, so I thought now would be a good time to introduce y'all to her. The pictures on her blog are mostly nature focussed, but there are a few beautiful shots of her family thrown in there too. I've picked out some of my favourites!

I also managed to catch up with Roseanna and ask her some questions for you all too, so here you go!
Spring Blossoms
Spring Blossoms
M: Who or what inspires you and your work?
R:  Cheesey as, but Jesus - I try to find beauty in everything I see, and it reminds me of how awesome and beautiful he is. In terms of photographers I have so many favourites from different styles so here's a couple: (fine art photographers) Robby Cavanaugh, Brooke Shaden, (portrait photographers) Janelle Elise, Katie RutherStephanie Belton, (fashion/editorial photographers) Caitlin WorthingtonErica Coburn and Julie Trotti!

Forest in the Lakes
Wanderings
Walkabouts

M: What do you find so appealing about photography - what do you get out of it?
R: I'm not a great artist but I love creativity, so photography allows me to channel that little spark in a way I find accessible and simple. It's also very freeing: one of my favourite things to do when I'm stressed is to go out on a walk in the fields near my house with my camera for a bit of solitude. Sometimes I come back with only a few good shots but it's mainly the fact that I can release myself through the photos that I enjoy.

M: What urged you to pick up a camera in the first place?
R:  It was my dad! He showed me his old film SLR and I loved it;  thought I'd be able to pick one up and be a master straight away, but unfortunately it's not as simple as it looks. I'm slowly learning more about how to manipulate light in order to capture things the way I want.

Rottingdean
M: Do you have any advice for anyone keen to pick up a camera and try out photography for themselves? 

R: Yeah - I'd say just go for it! Look around on the internet for advice so you can get the hang of the basics (YouTube is perfect for tutorials) and then just take as many photos as you can, all the time. Also I'd say don't be ashamed of using auto mode: a lot of people say things like "that's not real photography" but I think a great picture is about the subject, the angle, the moment and the way you capture for it! So for a little while just use auto until you've built a relationship with your camera - you need to get to know it and love it. But when the time comes don't be afraid to shoot on manual - at first everything won't look to great but that's ok. As long you keep trying, you'll only get better!
Forest in the Lakes
Spring Walk

M: Where do you want to be with your work in ten years time? 
R: I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Photography is a very competitive field to work in so doing it as a job may not be a possibility, however wherever I am in ten years time I hope that I have a small collection of cameras to keep my passion satisfied and we'll see about the rest!
Spring Walk


Roseanna uses a Canon 1100D with either a Tamron 70-300mm lens or a Canon 18-55mm lens and edits her photos using a mixture of Photoshop Lightroom and Elements.

I imagine her tumblr is going to be choc-a-bloc with new photos this summer thanks to our end of school freedom, so it'd be fab if you followed her on twitter/tumblr to keep updated with her work!


Thank you for reading - I'm hoping to do a few more of these style interviews over the next few months if they go down well, so do let me know what you think!



thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

20 comments:

  1. This is such a good interview, her photography is lovely! I look forward to seeing more of her stuff hehe xx

    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! awh I'm glad you like it, I'm sure she'll see your comment and be very appreciative haha! xox

      Delete
  2. Her photography is beautiful! I need to get the hang of using my camera, something other than auto at some point. Great post! xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you on her behalf haha! I love it so much <3 I'd love to see any results! Thaanks<3 xxx

      Delete
  3. her pictures are gorgeous! i'll pass her blog along to my friends who do have tumblr!

    http://lost--at-sea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's very talented! awh thank you so much <3 <3

      Delete
  4. It's so interesting to read interviews with creative people, it makes me want to get out there with my camera (or start playing an instrument/painting/drawing/sewing- whatever it is!) which can only be a good thing. Her photographs are really wonderful, it will be interesting to see what she does in the future!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll let her know, thank you! I can't wait haha <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this! Hope everything goes well for her in the future :)
    Oh and on a completely random note - you have gotten me into HAIM!! Wow I can't stop listening to them, but I first heard of them through your blog! So thank you very much hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! same<3 awh yaaay haha I'm so glad you like them! they're the best, thanks for letting me know haha! xoxx

      Delete
  7. I love all her photos, I'll be sure to give her a follow on tumblr! I can't wait to see more of her photos!

    http://zingerbee.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh I'm glad you enjoy them, I'm sure she'll be chuffed! thanks for reading<3 xx

      Delete
  8. Sick interview. These photos are so so lovely, especially digging the first one. wowowowow. I feel like having a photographer friend is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! she's so great, and saaaame<3 <3 it is! xx

      Delete
  9. love the photos! and your header is wicked xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll let rosie know, and thank you ellie! xx

      Delete
  10. Awh hello to anyone reading, I'm Roseanna - the photographer hah ;) Thank you to anyone that has commented, feel very blessed by all those lovely comments! And thank you to any of the followers! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful work - love the silhouette of the plants and back light!

    Check out my latest post on the Blog :)
    AL xx
    RASSP STYLERASSP INTERIOR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's very talented<3 thanks for reading! xx

      Delete

thank y'all for any comments, i'm full of love for you and reply to everything so be sure to check back. xxo