Monday, 26 January 2015

i broke my bones playing games with you, tired by fun, it makes me blue

WHAT I WORE:
skirt: h&m // jumper: m&s // top: urban outfitters // chain necklace: primark // bug necklace: jewelsy // socks: topshop // earrings: vintage // shoes: boohoo  // facial expression: rookie's 'how to bitchface'

 
 
I have been a terrible blogger recently in that all of my January posts seem to be circulating just two items of clothing, one being this metallic top of mine. I love layering it, and this V-neck combination is a particular favourite at the minute! I was given the M&S jumper from my mum, and it is has taken me by surprise in fast becoming one of my holy grail wardrobe items - I remember reading about Alexa Chung's staple navy men's sweater, and this is completely my equivalent - a nicely cut, good quality sweater has turned out to be a god send on those days where ~nothing~ seems to look right. I think it adds a bit of a preppy vibe to an outfit that is otherwise veering on slightly tacky (big up pleather skirts and holographic shoes)! 
 













  

 


 
The lyric is from a song I've been addicted to at the moment, called 'Real' by Years and Years. I recently watched the film 'God Help the Girl', written and directed by Belle and Sebastian's Stuart Murdoch, and immediately fell in love with all of the three main characters (the film is an indie-pop musical and is beautiful - I recommend it 100% even if, like myself, you're a little less keen on musicals). A little research into the film's actors led me to Years and Years, fronted by God Help The Girl's Olly Alexander (who you may also recognise from The Riot Club/Skins/Great Expectations). The band describe their work as music that you can dance and cry to at the same time, which feels completely accurate! Olly's vocals are a perfect pop/soul combination, and I want nothing more than to see these guys live. Their songs also have that perfect mix of being great as heavily electronic dance music, yet also being crazily beautiful when stripped back. And as always, a moment of appreciation for Olly Alexander's face please. You are very, very welcome.

xxoxx

38 comments:

  1. those shoes!! and the skirt, too ♥
    mortem blonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are my new favourite things haha xx

      Delete
  2. Teach me, queen (heart eye emoji praying hands emoji applause emoji)
    x
    Glitter Daiquiri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much love for you khensani!! I should be the one taking tips xx

      Delete
  3. Your outfit is super cute! I've nominated you for the Liebster award, here's the link: http://djhearteyes.blogspot.com/2015/01/liebster-award.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your shoes so much! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  5. mattieeee!!! your outfits are breathing so much life into me lately and that shoes/sock combination has left me in perpetual state of awe :o i'm in serious need. Also your music recommendations are my favourite ever <3

    http://vogueescapade.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you! this makes me v happy, and i'm feelin the exact same thing about your music too man, forever on point. xx

      Delete
  6. Shoes babe <3 Love the sparkles and the v neck too! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute :D

    asianelaine.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post
    would you like to follow each other ?
    I'll follow back after it

    Www.miharujulie.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg love your outfit!! i also nominated you for the liebster award here <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Madison!! aw i'll have a look. <3 xx

      Delete
  10. Mattie stap being so cool, love this outfit! xo
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude, I love God Help The Girl! I can't wait to listen to Olly's band, sounds awesome! And the bitchface is great, of course.
    x Alyssa
    visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so good! I hope you enjoy them, and ahaha thank you! xx

      Delete
  12. You're so so cool. Okay. I just found your blog and I'm in love. I want to be your best friend honestly. And please. I wear the same shirt like 4 times a week and people sort of scoff but hey, I like what I like ya feel? Your blog name is also on point. Alt-J for ze win.

    www.thejuiceboxqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah man you just cheered me up like mad, this was a lovely comment to wake up to! I am 100% down with being besties, and I knooow, favourite clothes are favourite clothes for a reason ya know?!? Alt-J are babes, ah. Thank you so much gal, just heading over to your blog now. xx

      Delete
  13. I've nominated you for the liebster award! I hope you can do it :)
    http://mermaidscantswim.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/the-liebster-award.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete

thank y'all for any comments, i'm full of love for you and reply to everything so be sure to check back. xxo