Saturday, 10 January 2015

i wanna pretend that jenny lee lindberg is my girlfriend

WHAT I WORE:
t-shirt: gap // mesh skirt: urban outfitters // bodycon skirt (worn under mesh): h&m // boots: doc marten // belt: new look // chain necklace: primark // bug necklace: jewelsy // watch: casio // bag: new look
 

Today's outfit featured one of my new favourite items of clothing (another sale find, of course) - this mesh, pleated midi skirt from Urban Outfitters. Usually I steer right away from anything midi length as it doesn't really do my already short height any favours, but with this I forced myself to step a little out of my comfort zone. I think the fact that it's sheer makes it much more flattering on my shorter self, and I love the look of so many different layers. The belt I picked up in the New Look sale recently for a pound (!!!), and the necklace is also a recent purchase.


Having a part time job means that Saturdays are now usually taken up by frantic college work to try and make up for lost time during the week, but for once I had the weekend work-free and so allowed myself the luxury of a little day trip. Lydia and I made the trek into town ready for the beginning of a sale at one of our favourite Brighton record shops, Resident, and I picked up a good few reduced albums that I'd been meaning to get for a while, as well as a few birthday presents for people. One of my new years resolutions is too try and buy more physical CDs - as much as I think Spotify is the best thing ever, it feels good to properly support the musicians a little more, as well as in this case local businesses. (WOW I sound so self righteous!!)

Tribes - Wish to Scream I discovered these guys a week before they broke up (worst timing ever) Their music is indie rock and very anthemic - they're now my dad and I's number one choice for car sing a longs. 'Dancehall' and 'Sons and Daughters' are good ones to listen to as an introduction to the band!

Swim Deep - Where The Heaven Are We I've been a Swim Deep fan for a good while now, yet until today I was yet to actually own any of their music. This album is super chilled, and listening to it send me right back to the summer when I was lucky enough to see them play at a festival - they were incredible and singing along to King City  ('with the sun on my back it's a nice day') in a crowd full of other adoring teenagers at late afternoon in the middle of nowhere was a perfect moment. (So clichéd wow) (Also a friendly reminder of my drunken encounter with them later that evening, which consisted of a rather enthusiastic group hug on my behalf with Austin, Zach and a scared looking Cav as my less willing participants.. a happy memory for all involved??)

Nirvana - Nevermind I've been getting into Nirvana quite a bit recently, and my first proper purchase of their music felt very ceremonious - a bit of a right of passage, I guess? Anyway, singing along to this album at the top of my voice is getting me through my mood swings at the moment.

Darwin Deez - Songs for Imaginative People I'm less into this album - I bought it on whim as I'm a big fan of his song Radar Detector, and the CD was reduced to £1.99. I'm enjoying it, but I find his songs a bit repetitive at times!

We hadn't really thought about what to do after we'd tackled the sale but we ended up spending the morning hunting around health food shops (without buying anything), unhealthy food shops (hello, chocolate spread), eating way too much fast food and having a good look around Brighton museum. I've been visiting it since I was a toddler and and so the displays are all getting extremely familiar, but it's still nice to visit every now and then.We also spent rather too long in Waterstones, which I'm majorly falling back in love with - another of my new years resolution is to read more, and so I seem to be spending my life at the moment in this place, adding to my already too long 'to read' list.

Other than catching up on work  and room tidying, the rest of my weekend is going to be rather uneventful. I've just got Netflix, so have been binge watching everything imaginable (today's choice was Whip It, which is one of my favourite films and forever makes me want to take up roller derby) and eating potato waffles by the dozen... And on that note, have a nice week guys!! Lots of love xoxox

** Title from King City by Swim Deep **
 
Also big up to Lydia for the photos!

 
 

26 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Swim Deep and Nirvana are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolio, just got introduced to new music! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've spent like 5 minutes gawking at the sheer amazingness of your skirt/outfit, it's so perfect! also i'm forever jealous that you met swim deep.

    http://vogueescapade.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you! I don't know if that pun was unintentional or not, but either way it made me very happy haha 💘💘

      Delete
  4. Omg Mattie I think this is one of my favourite outfits of yours ever! I LOVE that skirt and the belt too. And love how coordinated the background is with your outfit <3 <3 That record shop sounds amazing! xo

    http://www.lexilikes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh thank you lexi!! it's my favourite place ever xx

      Delete
  5. The skirt is so perfect! I support your idea of buying more CD's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, i'm so in love with your outfit, especially your skirt! also, swim deep <33333

    x
    riotsandroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love how your skirt adds a whole other dimension to your outfit, I will be keeping my eyes peeled for mesh! omg I have just rekindled my passion for swim deep, their music is so hazy and cool, like it was made purely for summer. also waterstones is the best, it kinda feels like a second home! xx

    www.weallscreamforicedreams.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you suzie! (also i love your name so so much btw) and yaas omg they're amazing, hazy epitomizes them haha <3 i knooow it's so cosy...and a building full of books is heaven!! thank you for your lovely comment man xx

      Delete
  8. i love your outfit! also swim deep & nirvana <3 <3

    http://lost--at-sea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!! they're the best <3 <3 xx

      Delete
  9. Your outfit is so cool! And your taste in music is <3<3

    // Ania, nurinek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's one beautiful skirt ♥ and the albums you bought!
    mortem blonde

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're really rocking this maybe-im-a-teen-witch/too-cool-to-care look and i am a fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahah that's the best description, thank you! i am a fan of YOU xxx

      Delete
  12. this is such a cool blog post. I love love love your outfit!

    If you had a minute, it would be lovely if you could checkout my blog!
    www.pickledsunflowers.blogspot.in
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep scrolling through your blog and I'm just SO jealous of your hair. It's so nice!!!

    xx Alyssa
    Visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thank y'all for any comments, i'm full of love for you and reply to everything so be sure to check back. xxo